Monday, October 5, 2009

Taco Bell Seasoning Full of MSG

tacobell You’ve probably seen the Taco Bell Home Originals in the grocery store. It’s an easy way to get dinner on the table with taco shells, seasoning and salsa all in one box. And I’ve used it many times for a quick meal. But as I read the seasoning packet I discovered it has MSG, or monosodium glutamate.

I’ve heard MSG is bad all my life, and I figured it wasn’t even being used anymore. So I had to do a little research of my own. I discovered MSG is a sodium salt and is used as a flavor enhancer. But shouldn’t the flavors stand on their own? 

Although once associated with foods in Chinese restaurants, MSG is now used by most fast food chains and packaged in many processed foods. You may not even know you’re eating it because the salts can be contained in hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, any one of which may appear as "spices" or "natural flavorings."

Some people are convinced they’re sensitive to MSG. Some symptoms that have yet to be proven include headaches and nausea. However, I don’t doubt these people. When I was a kid, diet soda would make me sick. Perhaps there’s some things we just shouldn’t be eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment