Monday, December 7, 2009

The Discovery of Real Parmesan

Parmigiano-ReggianoSure. I knew Parmigiano-Reggiano was the best parmesan out there. But I’m used to the Kraft version, either grated or shredded. The grated is perfect for spaghetti and the shredded works great for my chicken carbonara. But now I know what I was missing all this time.

Real ParmesanThe Kraft version is approaching $5 most of year. So I decided to make the switch to a $4.99 wedge of the real deal. Of course a sale at $3.99 sale got me hooked. An 8 ounce wedge for $4.99 beats the 7 ounce can at $4.49, if you ask me. You’ll be amazed at the difference in taste.

Parmigiano-Reggiano has a more sharp flavor, and a little goes a long way. This fact makes the few extra cents worth it. I use a microplane to finely shred it for whatever I need it for.

From Wikipedia: Parmigiano-Reggiano, called parmesan in the English language, is a hard granular cheese, cooked but not pressed, named after the producing areas of Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, and Bologna (all in Emilia-Romagna), and Mantova (in Lombardia), Italy.

Go ahead and try it out. If you can find the right brand, at the right store, it’s not as expensive as you think. And you just might make the switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment