This past Thanksgiving I was treated to some comforting, homemade macaroni & cheese, so I had to share the recipe. Now many of us have come to the conclusion that mac and cheese should be swimming in sauce. We can thank box dinners for that idea. But real macaroni and cheese is so much heartier.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked - al dente, drained well
- 2 overflowing cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or cut into 1/4-in cubes
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Season salt - to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper - to taste
- Dash or two or three or four of cayenne pepper
- In a bowl, mix cooked and well drained macaroni and cheese together.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, milk, sugar and seasoning.
- Pour egg/milk mixture over mac and cheese mixture, stir until well incorporated.
- Pour into baking dish or tin, cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
- Remove foil, turn on broiler - broil top of mac and cheese until golden brown and bubbly.