You know how two ingredients should never go together in a recipe, such as a Krispy Kreme doughnut and a hamburger. Well surprisingly, root beer and pork loin goes together quite well.
Yea it sounds weird. But it turned out great. I just put the pork loin in the Crockpot, sprinkled with some salt and pepper, added the onions and garlic and set it for 8 hours. Once it was done, I could still smell the root beer and it gave it a unique flavor, but not overpowering at all. I imagine you could also use regular beer.
Be sure to drain the meat well before adding your barbecue sauce. I missed that step, and ended up putting the meat through a strainer to get rid of all the extra juices.
- 1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin or pork shoulder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle root beer
- 1 medium onion, sliced into half rings.
- 2 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle your favorite barbecue sauce
- 8 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
- Place the pork tenderloin in a slow cooker; pour the root beer over the meat. Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, 6 to 7 hours.
- Drain well.
- Stir in barbecue sauce.
- Serve over hamburger buns.
Note: the actual length of time may vary according to individual slow cooker.