Wednesday, November 18, 2009

fastfood@home: Taco Bell Seasoning

Taco Bell Seasoning Copycat In my post a few weeks ago I talked about the MSG in Taco Bell’s seasoning packet that you can find at the grocery store. Well I’ve scoured the Internet to find a great alternative to those packets. And I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the spice mixture. It gives great flavor to the taco meat without that added greasy flavor from those Taco Bell seasoning packets.

When I do buy those packets from the store, I never use the whole thing for one meal. Half a packet works for me because I find the flavor to be way too salty using the full packet. This recipe is no different. 1/2 to 3/4 of the spices is all you need with the 3/4 cup water.

Taco Bell Seasoning Copycat

If you want to avoid the MSG entirely, leave out the beef boulion granules as they contain a small amount. Like all recipes, this one isn’t set in stone. If you like a little more spice add some red pepper flakes or other spices to fit your tastes.

Printable Version
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
  • 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
Directions
  1. Combine and store in an air-tight container.

  2. Notes: To make taco meat, brown 1 lb ground beef in skillet; drain.

  3. Add seasoning mix and 3/4 cup of water.

  4. Bring to a boil then reduce heat.

  5. Simmer uncovered, 2-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment